Policies and Guidelines
Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project
The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project maintains very high standards in page creation, site management, and overall quality of presentation for all associated project pages. The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project encourages freedom of expression, national cultural uniqueness and individual creativity by project hosts in the actual design of their pages. Certain elements are required, however, to help maintain the cohesiveness of the project.
- All Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project sites share the same alpha-pneumonic name and all projects must conform to this standard. Example of project names are: ScotlandGenWeb Project or IrelandGenWeb Project. County or parish pages follow this same example: County of Ross, ScotlandGenWeb Project
- All Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project websites must contain the WorldGenWeb Logo with a link to The WorldGenWeb Project. Logos may be found at http://www.worldgenweb.org/index.php/component/content/article/25-the-project/63-worldgenweb-logos. The Logo/Link is only required on the main page for the website.
- Country and county websites must contain a link to The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project website located at http://www.iukgenweb.org This logo button may be used, but is not required. The Logo/Link is only required on the main page for the website.
- County websites must contain a link to the Country website. The country host may require the use of a logo.
- Non-Commercial Status: The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project is a non-commercial entity. The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project is dedicated to the concept of free exchange of public-domain records via the internet.
- Copyright: The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project encourages the collection and publication of non-copyrighted materials online by hosts. The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project will not pay royalties to any organization or institution. Therefore, we stipulate that all materials placed online at any project website be free from copyright infringement.
- Country and County hosts will maintain a prominent link to the corresponding GENUKI website.
- Privacy Rights of Individuals: The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb project encourages the submission of genealogical data to all project websites.
- The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb Project endeavors to maintain that all materials collected through associated project websites will not be distributed commercially. Country coordinators and project volunteers work on the honor system and we "assume" that materials placed online are free from any copyright infringement and that they will not be sold or republished in any form.
- Individual's who submit data to any website are free to include the word "private" in place of any records or dates. This does dilute the value of the record submitted but we wholeheartedly support the privacy rights of the individual.
- Each Country and County coordinator is required to maintain a method for researchers to submit queries. The coordinator may choose to administrate a query page/bulletin board system or they may choose to provide a link to an existing message board related to their region.
The coordinator is free to choose a system/method which works best for their project web site.
- To fulfill the mission of the WorldGenWeb Project of providing quality genealogical data and information it is imperative that each WorldGenWeb Project website be kept current. At a minimum each regional, country, state or province, and county level project shall be updated once every 12 months. This update should include a check for any broken links, a change to the copyright date and a check to ensure that contact information is current. Project websites that have not been updated for a period greater than 12 months may be declared abandoned and the coordinator may be removed from the WorldGenWeb Project.
Disclaimer: The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb project does not guarantee the authenticity or source of any collected material place online at project websites and is to be held free from any and all liabilities based on such materials. The Ireland & United KingdomGenWeb will remove any materials found to be in violation of all U.S. Copy Right Laws and statutes.
Last updated 24 October 2014.